Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday distractions - ombre

As grown-up cousin of tie-dye, ombre (aka color gradient) has always appealed to me. Something about the orderly blend or fade of color is just so soothing and exciting at the same time.
This year I found myself actually paying attention to fashion week because I had become enthralled by Project Runway runway despite the nauseating overuse of the word "fierce." I learned two things from this. One, most designers make clothes that are either hideously ugly or insanely impractical for a casually cosmopolitan city like Nashville--jeans and cowboy boots are acceptable red carpet wear here, even if you aren't a country star. Two, many of the cute designs were ombre!

Alexander McQueen - I especially like the print overlay on the second dress

6167 - Love the shape of this one!



A.F. Vandevorst - Not withstanding the horrible socks with heels on the second model

So I already had plans to try this sooner rather than later, but was super excited when I opened the latest issue of substitute-for-Blueprint (aka Martha Stewart Living). What's Martha up to now, you ask? OMBRE! Whee!



Her directions are in the article, available here. However, I'm skeptical of the whole dip-fabric-slowly thing as it doesn't always provide as smooth of a gradient as I would like (I'm a little crazy like that).

After some searching I located an alternate method, see here, here and here. Basically, the fixing (or the soda ash in Martha's directions) is left until AFTER the gradient is established so that the color can migrate freely on the fabric. Also, you can mix up different combos of your colors, ie 100% color 1, 80/20 color 1 and 2, 60/40, and so on. Seems more labor intensive and probably messier, but likely the way I'll try it as I'm a sucker for doing things the hard way.

And to top off your new ombre outfit? How about some gradient tights? Okay, that might be a little much, Nashvegas or not!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I'll try this one...something about a 2 yr old and Rit dye doesn't mix. But I will leave you with something equally eye pleasing from another blog.

    http://www.designspongeonline.com/2008/04/sans-parapluie.html

    ReplyDelete