Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A good book and a good cry

This weekend I finally managed to wrangle some time away from work. While the boy was out having a guys' night, I put on my jammies, made a pot of tea, and curled up with a book that I've been dying to read:

book copy
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

The whole night I was lost, transported back to South Carolina in 1964. I literally couldn't put the book down, and climbed into bed to finish the last few chapters. When I was done, I let out a heavy sigh and turned out the light.

And then the waterworks came.

Why did this book take such an emotional toll? Was it because I had gotten so attached to the characters, and was sad because I was leaving Lily and August? Was it for all the strong women in my life that were so far away? Was it for the times when I had to draw on my inner strength and couldn't? Was it because I was alone at that very moment, and the bed suddenly felt huge?

Then, like a late summer rain shower, it was over as soon as it had begun. My cat curled up by my side and started purring, and I fell into a fitful sleep. The next morning I felt so relieved, so maybe a good cry was just what I needed!

Anyone else have a similar experience with this book, or any other book? I might be needing another good cry someday....

4 comments:

  1. Oh, what a good one! The Prince of Tides (book, not movie) made me cry until I hurt. "Lowenstein!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book was very good! A Thousand Splendid Suns is my absolute favorite and it definitely made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I left the wrong link. This is my blog:

    http://ihavetosay.typepad.com/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I'll put those on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete